PREVIOUS ARTICLENEXT ARTICLE
NEWS
By 6 February 2013 | Categories: news

0

Tech giant Google has released the latest Android mobile operating system (OS) usage information, revealing which version of the platform is used most on users’ smartphones and tablets. These figures were compiled from data Google collected during a two week period that ended on 4 February 2013.

The latest edition, Jelly Bean (Android 4.1 - 4.2) remains very popular, growing its usage stake from 10.2% in January to 13.6% currently. The current most used platform, Gingerbread (Android 2.3 - 2.3.7), continues to slide as its usage share drops 2% from 47.6% to 45.6% for the month of February 2013.

Both Android Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS, Android 4.0.3 - 4.0.4) and the tablet only Honeycomb (Android 3.1 - 3.2) have remained virtually unchanged, stagnating at 29% and 1.3% respectively.   

Android veterans, Donut (Android 1.6; 0.2%) and Eclair (Android 2.1; 2.2%), claim a combined minority share of 2.4%, whilst Froyo’s (Android 2.2) usage stake decreases from 9% in January to 8.1% currently.

 
Pie chart: Google's Android Developers site

In other mobile platform related news, the latest research from market research firm Strategy Analytics’ Wireless Smartphone Strategies service recently revealed that Android and iOS accounted for a record 92% share of all smartphones shipped worldwide during Q4 2012.

USER COMMENTS

Read
Magazine Online
TechSmart.co.za is South Africa's leading magazine for tech product reviews, tech news, videos, tech specs and gadgets.
Start reading now >
Download latest issue

Have Your Say


What emerging technology holds the greatest potential?
Artificial Intelligence (131 votes)
Blockchain (25 votes)
Virtual Reality (16 votes)
High Performance Computing (17 votes)
Machine Learning (27 votes)
Nanotechnology (38 votes)
Computer vision (5 votes)
Edge computing (4 votes)
Autonomous vehicles (130 votes)