MTN Online School virtual platform brings education to SA youthBy Staff Writer 22 October 2021 | Categories: news
News sponsored by Drive Control Corporation with Dell Client Peripherals:
MTN has launched the MTN Online School, a free online portal that provides a digital curriculum for grades R-12 and additional features like video lessons, assessments and extra-tuition lessons for Grade 10 to 12 learners.
The integrated online educational portal is supported and housed on the MTN network and is zero data rated for MTN customers, which means it can be used without any data.
The cellular provider states the solution is aimed at increasing access to curriculum-aligned educational content, as endorsed and provided by the Department of Basic Education (DBE) in SA for Grades R-12 and for Learners with Special Education Needs (LSEN), using a digital platform. The full content library will be added to the platform and made available over a period of three years, focusing on key subjects.
MTN Online School is specifically focused on using the power of the digital world to supplement and support the physical classroom. To enhance and attract more learners to the virtual world now at their fingertips, the portal will also focus on areas such as financial skills, entrepreneurship, arts and culture, as well as career guidance content, with a focus on key careers where there are skills shortages in SA.
Among the key innovations, video lessons will be provided with a sign language interpreter to accommodate deaf learners. The portal includes an introduction to the early childhood development curriculum and African storytelling, with over 2 000 stories, to equip children with good reading skills and improve confidence, enabling them to learn and read independently.
Additional features for FET Phase (Grade 10 -12) include:
- Support to learners after-school, on weekends, during school holidays and dedicated lessons leading up to exams
- A timetable to drive transparency and structure
- Learners can work at their own pace as lessons will be available on-demand
- Online tutoring service will be provided to learners via a help function interface
- Pre-assessments (test existing knowledge)
- Pre-recorded lessons to watch
- Tutoring sessions
- Feedback questions to work through
- Live sessions presented by a teacher, recap of key concepts, focus on weak areas identified by assessments
- Post assessments
- Learner analysis reports
- Learners can also request help at any time, or submit questions via the platform or WhatsApp chat line
Most Read Articles
Have Your Say
What new tech or developments are you most anticipating this year?