Nvidia launches world's fastest notebook GPUBy Hanleigh Daniels 29 June 2011 | Categories: news
Nvidia has launched what the company refers to as “the world’s fastest notebook graphics processing unit (GPU)”, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M.
The GPU maker stated that its new GPU will provide users with up to six times the tessellation performance of any other notebook GPU currently available, but that it’s also more efficient, with up to 20% better performance per watt than the previous generation.
Besides the new top dog of its notebook GPU series, Nvidia also introduced the GeForce GTX 570M GPU, which it says will offer 20% quicker performance than the previous generation product it replaces.
“The best game support. The best gaming features. The best gaming performance available anywhere. That’s the essence of the GeForce GTX 580M,” stated Rene Haas, general manager of notebook products at Nvidia. “With power like this, you can turn all the knobs to 11.”
This new mobile GPU will first be employed in Alienware’s M18x gaming notebook PC, which offers the option of two GeForce GTX 580M GPUs in one system for up to double the gaming performance, by utilising Nvidia SLI technology. Following its availability in the M18x, the GeForce GTX 580M GPU will then also be handling the graphics on the Alienware M17x.
According to the GPU maker the latter will deliver five hours of battery life whilst performing general tasks including using social networking the likes of Facebook, as well as 100 frames per second performance when playing games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops. This is due to its use of the GeForce GTX 580M along with Nvidia Optimus technology, which enables longer battery life for notebooks by automatically switching the GPU on when its required and off again when it isn’t needed.
“Gamers aspire to experience games at their highest settings,” said Eddy Goyanes, product marketing manager for Alienware. “Alienware activates the technology designed to enable those aspirations. With the launch of the GeForce GTX 580M on the Alienware M17x, and a dual card option on the M18x, that synergy continues -- Alienware delivers the ultimate gaming experience.”
Nvidia launched the GeForce 500M series of notebook GPUs at the end of May, kicking the new range of with the GeForce GTX 560M.
Nvidia GeForce GTX GPU features:
- Support for Nvidia 3D Vision technology, which automatically converts over 525 titles into immersive 3D.
- Support for Nvidia 3DTV Play software, for connecting 3D Vision-based notebooks to 3D TVs.
- Nvidia SLI technology, which links two GTX GPUs for up to double your gaming performance.
- Nvidia Optimus technology, which enables extra-long battery life by automatically switching on and off the GPU so that it runs only when needed.
- Nvidia PhysX engine support, which brings games to life with realistic physics.
- Nvidia CUDA architecture support, for GPU computing applications.
- Nvidia Verde notebook drivers, for frequent performance improvements and rock-solid stability.
Most Read Articles
Have Your Say
What are your plans for the holiday season?