SE unveils Xperia arc SBy Hanleigh Daniels 1 September 2011 | Categories: news
It’s not only Samsung that has new bada- and Android-running mobile devices on show during IFA in Berlin, as Sony Ericsson (SE) has unveiled its Xperia arc S smartphone.
This smartphone sports the same sleek design (125 x 63 x 8.7 mm) of the Xperia arc, but is powered by an upgraded processor running at 1.4 GHz (Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255). The Xperia arc S also boasts Sony 3D sweep panorama technology, which enables users to capture 3D sweep panorama images that can be displayed by connecting the phone to a 3DTV or monitor via HDMI output.
It’s not only the processing performance which has been enhanced, as the Xperia arc S features 25% faster camera start-up and media conversion, along with 20% faster webpage rendering, when compared to the original Xperia arc.
SE’s Xperia arc S features a 4.2" (480 x 854) Reality Display boasting the company’s Mobile BRAVIA Engine, which SE says delivers better visual clarity, and having employed this display on the SE Xperia arc, we tend to agree. The mobile also boasts an 8.1 MP auto-focus camera with HD-Ready (720p) video recording capability and Sony’s award winning Exmor R for mobile image sensor, which enhances still images and videos even in low light conditions.
Sony Ericsson stated that its Xperia arc S will be available globally available within selected markets as of Q4 of this year. No local release info is available yet.
Also onboard is access to the Sony Entertainment Network services, which is “Music Unlimited” and “Video Unlimited”. SE users owning other 2011 Xperia smartphone are now able to utilise the company’s “Music Unlimited” and “Video Unlimited” services in certain markets such as the US, UK and Australia. These services aren’t available to local users yet.
- “Music Unlimited” makes a global catalogue of up to ten million tracks available to users, along with access to their personal music library and ad free radio channels across multiple devices.
- “Video Unlimited” (currently exclusive to Sony Ericsson Xperia) gives users access to the latest Hollywood blockbusters, all-time cinema classics, as well as TV series from all major studios.
Nikolaus Scheurer, head of product marketing at Sony Ericsson said: “Xperia arc S is the fastest and most entertaining Xperia to date and it clearly demonstrates how the Xperia family are the best smartphones to experience great entertainment services such as Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited.”
Xperia arc S at a glance:
- 3D and 2D sweep panorama photography
- 8.1 MP auto-focus camera (aperture f/2.4) with Exmor R for mobile image sensor
- 4.2“ Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine
- Size: 125 x 63 x 8.7 mm
- Weight: 117 g
- Mobile operating system: Google Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)
- Processor: 1.4 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255
- Facebook inside Xperia 2.0
- HD-Ready (720p) video recording
- HDMI support
- Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
Most Read Articles
Have Your Say
What new tech or developments are you most anticipating this year?